Over 330″ of fresh Colorado snow fell in Breckenridge since opening day in Nov. 2015. As another season passes and we look forward to the warm summer days, we want to take a second to reflect on how amazing the 2015-16 winter season was in Breckenridge. Here are the season’s most memorable moments from the beginning of the season to the end…
1. The first snow of the season
Breck saw its first snowfall Oct. 22, 2015. There were plenty of smiles and snow dances around town, getting pumped up for the ski season.
2. Surfs up snow lovers
In November, these clouds that looked like crashing waves over the Breckenridge Ski Resort raised a media frenzy, with coverage from the The Weather Channel, The Washington Post and ABC News.
3. Another record year of Santas racing down Main Street
We kick off the holiday season in Breckenridge with more than 400 Santas racing down Main Street for the annual Race of the Santas, illuminating the town with over 140,000 Christmas lights and serving 1,000 cups of hot chocolate.
4. World record for the longest shot ski
Ullr Fest is a week-long celebration of snow. In 2015, we broke the record for the World’s longest shot ski with 777 people and 254 skis, and to know surprise, we broke our own record in 2016 with 831 people and 277 skis…
5. Breckenridge featured in USA Today’s 10 Best for Yoga
Downhill meets downward dog, why yoga is the new après ski. 10 Best named Meta Yoga’s Après class as the perfect way to unwind after a long day on the mountain.
6. Bull of the woods took over Carter Park
Bull of the Woods, a grassroots log snowboard contest, featured a community of riders, both local and pro snowboarders. In its 3rd year, the event added a new public banked slalom course in addition to the traditional hand-built features throughout the woods.
7. Back-to-back powder days
5 days of pow-pow. More than 40″ of snow fell in 5 days at the Breckenridge Ski Resort, “sorry boss, not feeling so well today. I have a powder day fever.”
Ski photos courtesy of the Breckenridge Ski Resort
8. The sunrises and sunsets
We couldn’t leave this off of the list of most memorable moments. Colorado sees some pretty incredible colors in the sky, hence the name Colorful Colorado.
9. Breckenridge received over 90″ of snowfall in March
According to On The Snow, Breckenridge received 94″ of snow, that is 35% more than March 2015. Hey Ullr, thanks for the heavy Spring dumps.
- Ullr Fest mentioned in The New York Times for our quirky events: Ullr Parade and Ullr Ice Plunge
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not! just couldn’t believe that sculptures were created out of 320 tons of snow during the International Snow Sculpture Championships
- Powder day in late April? Yes Please. 25+ inches of snow to close out the season.
Every season in Breckenridge is memorable. Check out some of our top moments from the 2014-15 winter season. Cheers to a wonderful year in Breckenridge. We hope you will be part of the memories next year.