No current fire restrictions in Summit County
Click for a full list of fire resources in Breckenridge and beyond.
I’ll be the first to admit that my vacation budget isn’t very big, so camping on the weekends is a usual go-to in the summer months. While I grew up camping in manicured campground with accessible water and bathrooms, I’ve discovered I crave a bit more solitude and usually venture out into National Forest lands when it comes time to get back to nature.
All National Forest lands are open to camping unless otherwise posted, but you do have to be aware of where you are venturing into because the fire danger in Summit County and beyond can change throughout summer. It is oh-so important to “know before you go” when it comes to camping in the backcountry.
Breckenridge sits in the White River National Forest as part of the Dillon Ranger District, which is the place to call (970-468-5400) if you have any specific questions that can’t be answered by visiting their href=”http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com” target=”_blank”>website .
The most up-to-date information on fire bans and restrictions in Summit and neighboring counties can be found at the Colorado Office of Emergency Management website. This website is great, not only is it extremely informative, it’s constantly being updated. Campers should make it a habit to check this website before venturing out into the wilderness.
So be safe, have fun, and stay informed before you plan a campfire.
Local (Breckenridge and County) fire resources:
- Red, White & Blue Fire District (Breckenridge)
- White River National Forest fire restrictions and information
- Summit County Emergency Management: Check out the FAQs or visit the homepage for recent news on all subjects
- Town of Breckenridge: Visit the homepage to view recent news on all topics
- Colorado Division of Emergency Management: State-wide fire bans/danger by County / Twitter: @COemergency
- Traffic updates and travel advisories (all updates, including those not related to fire): COtrip.org
Travel FAQs is a series of posts based on the most popular questions from our readers and visitors to the Breckenridge Welcome Center. Got a question? Email the Breckenridge Welcome Center at email@example.com; we’ll give you a personalized response and post answers to the most popular questions here.